WOW Faith OLS — Week Four #2
Where is your focus — day by day, moment by moment?
Are you looking at beauty and blessings? Or do you dwell on the battles and bumps in the road?
I’m reminded of the title of one of my very favorite books by Warren Wiersbe — The Bumps Are What You Climb On. That title makes me smile. When we know the Lord, we can experience the overcoming power of the Lord Jesus Christ, and discover that nothing is too great for Him. No obstacle stands in the way of God’s plan. As His children, following Him becomes an adventure. With our eyes fixed on Him, troubles can become triumphs. And rather than focusing on the trial, we can see the beauty the Lord shows us, and experience His blessings in the midst of the battle.
This week in our study of Walk On Water Faith, I read this phrase that resonated with my heart in a powerful way —
I have been thinking about these words all week. I would encourage any who are experiencing a disappointment or death of a dream to turn your focus away from those losses and fix your spiritual eyes and ears on the Lord. The words of that beautiful hymn by Helen Lemmel hold true even today.
Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace.
Oh friend, this is one of the secrets to great faith. What are you looking at and what are you thinking about? You will discover that God uses His promises to strengthen your heart and empower your faith. And then you will will soar above and through the difficulties, on wings like eagles, flying with a heart set free from the chains of discouragement and despair.
Abraham shows us how to handle the promises of God and emerge victorious when our faith is tested —
I wonder if you have surrendered your desire to see an earthly, visible reason for hope to embrace a hope completely based on God’s promises in His Word? Not only is He able to provide for you, He will provide for you. He may work in an unexpected way, but mark this, my friend. He is at work, carrying out His plans and purposes. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow said that “behind the clouds is the sun still shining.” Just because we cannot see all God is working together does not mean He is not present and active in your life. And that is where you see the effective work of His promises, to remind you of all that is true, opening your spiritual eyes so you can truly see, and empowering you to live by His promises instead of living by your own earthly limited sight.
Remember always, “we walk by faith, not by sight” (2 Corinthians 5:7).
So, be encouraged today, my dear friend, to run your race with endurance, fixing your eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of your faith.
Dear friend, I love studying God’s Word together with you.
About Our Study
- Each week on Saturday morning, I will simulpost at Cath’s Blog — Quiet Time Ministries and at Ministry For Women — Google+ Community.
- All Ministry For Women — Google+ Community posts are mirrored on Quiet Time Ministries as — Cath’s Blog — Online Studies
- Each post will include some Sola Scriptura discussion questions related to your study from the previous week. Read, reflect, and share your thoughts. Please comment!
- Each post will include your next week’s assignment starting Sunday for the following study week.
- Take advantage of the opportunity to watch and listen to the Walk On Water Faith — Digital M4V Video Messages or the Walk On Water Faith — Digital MP3 Messages. The Introduction Week Digital M4V Video and Digital MP3 Audio Messages for all study series are always free as digital downloads!
- Leaders, make the most of your small group experience with a Walk On Water Faith — DVD Leaders Kit, or if you’re in a large group experience, consider the high definition, all digital Walk On Water Faith — HD Leaders Kit. Leaders Kits include the Walk On Water Faith — A Quiet Time Experience Book, The Quiet Time Journal, and a Quiet Time Ministries Signature Tote.
Your assignment this next week is to read and study Week 5, Days 1-3 The Faith of Moses — The Man Of God, from Walk On Water Faith — Discovering Power In The Promises of God. You may want to come back here throughout the week to read comments and respond. I will meet you back here with a new post and discussion question on Saturday, January 31, 2015.
I invite you to share your most important insights from Week 4, Days 4-7 and your favorite promise from God’s Word in your study so far. You can write your thoughts in the Comments section of this post.
♥ God bless you as you continue this great adventure of knowing Him!
How has your faith been tested? What promise helps you in your test of faith? What is one blessing from the Lord that encourages you today? What was your favorite promise from the study? And what was your favorite quote from the devotional reading? And finally, share the most important truth that God has taught you this week in your study?
- Title: A Heart Set Free
- Order Custom Walk On Water Faith Prints @ myPhotoWalk — SmugMug.com
- Description: I was amazed to see the moon still visible in daylight, a hawk circling above a cliff in Zion National Park, Utah, USA.
- Creator: Catherine Martin
- Date Created: 11/07/12
- Camera: Nikon D7000, 70-300mm – FL 140.0mm, ISO 160, f11.0, 1/160.
- Photoshoot: Bill Fortney’s His Light Workshops PhotoShoot at Zion National Park, Utah, USA.
- Post-Processing: Photomatix Pro, Adobe Photoshop, MacPhun Software, Nik Software.
- Copyright ©2017 Catherine Martin — myPhotoWalk — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.
myPhotoWalk.com — Devotional Photography
Copyright © 2017 Catherine Martin — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.
— Matthew 14:28-31 NASB
Biblical faith is a gift of God. God has given us a measure of faith, according to Romans 12:3. And it is not humanly manufactured but God-given and God-enabled through the power of His Spirit (Galatians 2:20, 5:22). … When Peter realized the Lord was out there walking on the water, he expressed boldness in his faith by asking the Lord to bring him out on the water. How many of us actually dare to dream such majestic feats of faith as Peter did that early morning in the stormy waters?