A Heart That Hopes OLS — Introduction Week
Do you need hope in your life right now?
And maybe, just maybe, you feel as though you have lost your hope. Oh, dear friend, I want you to know that if you know the Lord Jesus Christ, you can never lose your hope. There is such good news for us in Christ. And I can’t wait to study hope together with you in A Heart That Hopes In God — Truths From The Psalms To Anchor Your Soul.
So do you need hope in your life right now?
That’s the question I want to ask as we begin our 2016 Annual Seasonal Online Bible Study of A Heart That Hopes In God. Paul tells us that God is a God of hope. He says in Romans 15:13 “Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Eugene Peterson writes it this way in The Message, “Oh! May the God of great hope fill you up with joy, fill you up with peace, so that your believing lives, filled with the life-giving energy of the Holy Spirit, will brim over with hope!”
Oh yes, my prayer is that we will all brim over with hope, or as the New Living Translation puts it, “overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit” (Romans 15:13 NLT).
I have chosen the Psalms as the place for our study in hope because the psalmists knew how to turn to God’s promises and live in them, day by day. The psalmists were honest about their discouragement, fear, and yes, even despair at times as they faced real-life troubles and impossibilities. I wonder if you are faced with an “impossible” right now, something that has no answer unless God moves and provides in His mighty power. In the midst of the complexities of life, we need to learn what hope is, how to have it, and what will happen as a result.
Oh dear friend, I can’t wait to study God’s Word together with you and grow in my own ability to have a heart that hopes in God. You are like a rose in a garden, and as you live in God’s promises in His Word, you will bloom and grow, full of hope and joy, no matter how and where you are planted. How is that possible? Because as you trust in God and His Word, you will be filled with joy and peace and hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Your quiet time is very important throughout our time together. I encourage you to set aside a time, find a quiet place, and then enjoy the experience of The PRAYER Quiet Time Plan in A Heart That Hopes In God — Prepare Your Heart, Read and Study God’s Word, Adore God In Prayer, Yield Yourself To God, Enjoy His Presence, and Rest In His Love. Choose a Bible translation that is easy for you to understand. Some of my favorites are the New American Standard Bible (Updated Edition), the New Living Translation, the New International Version, the Holman Christian Standard Bible, The New King James Bible, and the English Standard Version. Every morning you want to sit with the Lord, open His Word, and do a day of study in A Heart That Hopes In God. The study is filled with prayers, hymns, devotional Bible study, excerpts from classic devotional books, and more. Oh how exciting our quiet time will be as we sit with the Lord every day.
I love the exhortation in Romans 12:2. I shared it last year and I want to share it again because it is so powerful for us as we begin this study —
I invite you to get ready for God to work in your heart, change the way you think with His Word, fill you with the power of His Spirit, give you a heart overflowing with hope, and literally transform your life. Oh how I need this in my own life. I can’t wait to see what the Lord is going to do in all of our lives!
Dear friend, get ready for the adventure of your life. May we all experience real hope — Holding On with Patient Expectation!
About Our Study
- Each week on Saturday morning, I will simulpost at Cath’s Blog — Quiet Time Ministries and at Ministry For Women — Google+ Community.
- All Ministry For Women — Google+ Community posts are mirrored on Quiet Time Ministries as — Cath’s Blog — Online Studies
- Each post will include some Sola Scriptura discussion questions related to your study from the previous week. Read, reflect, and share your thoughts. Please comment!
- Each post will include your next week’s assignment starting Sunday for the following study week.
- Take advantage of the opportunity to watch and listen to the A Heart That Hopes In God — Digital M4V Video Messages or the A Heart That Hopes In God — Digital MP3 Messages. The Introduction Week Digital M4V Video and Digital MP3 Audio Messages for all study series are always free as digital downloads!
- Leaders, make the most of your small group experience with a A Heart That Hopes In God — DVD Leaders Kit. Leaders Kits include the A Heart That Hopes In God — A Quiet Time Experience Book, The Quiet Time Journal, and a Quiet Time Ministries Signature Tote.
Your assignment this next week is to read the Introduction Chapter from A Heart That Hopes In God — Truths from the Psalms to Anchor Your Soul, write your Letter to the Lord, and study Week 1, Days 1-7, There Is Always Hope No Matter What. You may want to come back here throughout the week to read comments and respond. In our first week of study on hope we are going to see just how important hope. We will begin to see what hope really is and how necessary it is for us in the storms of life. I will meet you back here with a new post and discussion question on Saturday, January 16, 2016.
And now, my dear friend, Kelly Wysard, shares a prayer for all of us as we study God’s Word together —
May we seek You and serve You with exceeding sweet delight knowing that You alone are drawing us near and making us complete in You. As we open the Word of God and meditate on Your instruction and cling to Your promises, may we become more like You. May we hang on Your every Word for dear life! May Your Word be musical instruction to our ears. May we sing praises treasuring Your glorious revelation one moment at a time on pilgrim’s way. May we have the mind of Christ, dear Father.
Now may the God of hope fill us with all joy and peace in believing, so that we will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit (Romans 15:13). May this hope be as an anchor of the soul (Hebrews 6:19) as we persevere by the encouragement of the Scripture (Romans 15:4).
We ask all this in the name of Jesus Christ the Lord, Amen.
As we begin, I invite you to introduce yourself and share what you are looking forward to in this study. You can write your thoughts in the Comments section of this post.
And now, let’s begin the journey of A Heart That Hopes In God.
♥ God bless you as you continue this great adventure of knowing Him!
As we begin our study, share your own thoughts on one or more of these questions. Why do we need hope? What is it about life that challenges our ability to have hope. Where in your life do you need hope right now. And finally, why are you looking forward to this study and how will growing in your ability to have hope help you right now in your life?
- Title: God’s Smile
- Order Custom myPhotoWalk Prints @ myPhotoWalk — SmugMug.com
- Description: A beautiful rose in the garden at Principe Corsini Villa Le Corti, Val Di Pesa, Florence, Tuscany, Italy.
- Creator: Catherine Martin
- Date Created: 05/11/11
- Camera: Nikon D7000, Nikkor 18-105mm, FL 66mm, ISO 250, f5.3, 1/800sec.
- Photoshoot: myPhotoWalk Photoshoot in Florence, Tuscany, Italy.
- Post-Processing: Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe Photoshop, Topaz Software, OnOne Software.
- Copyright ©2017 Catherine Martin — myPhotoWalk™ — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright © 2017 Catherine Martin — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.