Feeding On God’s Faithfulness
There are times in life when your circumstances just don’t make sense.
You have tried everything you know, and still you don’t understand what God is doing.
You need God’s help and power in deeper ways than ever before and you can’t see how He will provide.
In times like these, we need to stay close to God and feed on His faithfulness.
Psalm 37 is one of my favorite psalms, written by David, the man after God’s own heart, who obviously experienced times where everything seemed upside down. David knew what to do in those times and encourages us to know as well. I have written next to this psalm in my Bible, “What to do no matter what and in every circumstance, even the dark night of the soul.” Now that’s a long title but when I turn to this psalm, that title helps me apply what I hear from God in times of darkness and despair and discouragement.
Here is what I need to do when I just don’t understand, according to David in Psalm 37 —
- Do not fret and be not envious — Psalm 7:1
- Trust in the Lord and do good — Psalm 7:3
- Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness — Psalm 7:3
- Delight myself in the Lord — Psalm 7:4
- Commit my way to the Lord — Psalm 7:5
- Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him — Psalm 7:7
- Cease from anger and forsake wrath — Psalm 7:8
George O. Wood, in his wonderful commentary on the psalms entitled A Psalm In Your Heart, calls Psalm 37 “The Big Bumps.” There is no doubt that Psalm 37 pulls out all the stops because the impossible circumstance calls for extreme measures. George O. Wood writes —
Making “statements of trust in the Lord” and engaging in “uplifting self-talk” are learned behaviors taught by God in the crucible of deep suffering. God is teaching you through your faith statements and uplifting self-talk to feed on His faithfulness. You are turning your heart toward reality found in God Himself rather than the fluctuating feelings and emotions based on tumultuous circumstances. You can’t possibly know how God is causing all things to work together for good (Romans 8:28). But you can know the One who is in control and who holds your future in His able hands.
So today, dear friend, feed on the faithfulness of God. He is working out His plan and purpose in your life, though you may not see how. He promises. Someday you will see His handiwork and you will marvel at how He wove everything together for His glory.
♥ Blessings and Grace to You!
- Title: Feeding On His Faithfulness
- Request This Image > SmugMug Image Request
- Description: A deer grazing in the grassy field at the Wildlife World Zoo, Aquarium, and Safari Park in Litchfield Park, Arizona, USA.
- Creator: Catherine Martin
- Date Created: 10/30/15
- Camera: Nikon D810, Nikkor 80-400mm, FL 400mm, ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/500sec.
- Photoshoot: myPhotoWalk Photoshoot at the Wildlife World Zoo, Aquarium, and Safari Park in Litchfield Park, Arizona, USA.
- Post-Processing: Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe Photoshop, Nik Software.
- Copyright ©2018 Catherine Martin — myPhotoWalk™ — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.
Request this post’s image to be made available in Catherine’s SmugMug Portfolio!
Submit Once – Check Your Email.
myPhotoWalk.com — Devotional Photography
2 Peter 3:18 — Beholding His Beauty — Experiencing His Blessings — Living In His Word
Copyright © 2018 Catherine Martin — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.