Run Before The Wind OLS — Week Three
Who is in control of your life? You or the Lord?
That is the question that is at the heart of our study this week in Run Before The Wind.
There is an imperative for us in Ephesians 5:18 —
We need the Holy Spirit and are not meant to live one second of our lives without His control and power. When we live in our own strength, we experience discouragement and defeat. When we live in His power, we experience strength and victory.
I believe that understanding how to live in the power of God’s Spirit is one of the most important truths we can learn from the Lord in His Word. This truth is woven throughout the book of Acts and we see the difference the Spirit of God makes in lives as we watch the disciples in ministry in the Early Church. Oh how the Lord used them in great and mighty ways for His glory.
I loved the questions in Day 1 of Week Four and took them to heart for myself. “Think about your own life. Are you walking, day by day, in the control and power of the Holy Spirit? Who is in charge of your life? Have you surrendered to the Lord and are you asking Him to fill you with His Spirit? Today is the day to ask Him to fill you and then get ready to have the wind of the Spirit to catch the sails of your life so that you can run before the wind.”
Oh dear friend, what a blessing to think about these questions and be filled with a new and greater desire to run before the wind of God’s Spirit. Oh how I need Him every moment of my days.
There were so many great quotes and excerpts but again this week one of my favorites was from Dr. Bill Bright —
Have you discovered the great adventure of being filled with the Holy Spirit? My prayer is that we will take all these words to heart and surrender to the Lord in our lives.
I love this closing challenge in Day 4 and give it to you today for encouragement —
Heaven will tell the story of how the Lord is doing a mighty work in and through us. To God be the glory! May we all run before the wind and experience real and abundant life — life in the Spirit!
A Special Note — I wanted to share with you that Women’s Bible Study – Women of the Word at Mariner’s Church in Irvine, California, are also studying Run Before The Wind. On Thursday, May 5, 2016, at 10:00am, I will be giving the Week 4 Message live in person, “I Can’t But He Can” at Mariner’s Church. You are invited to join in if you are in the area.
About Our Study
- Each week on Saturday morning, I will simulpost at Cath’s Blog — Quiet Time Ministries and at Ministry For Women — Google+ Community.
- All Ministry For Women — Google+ Community posts are mirrored on Quiet Time Ministries as — Cath’s Blog — Online Studies
- Each post will include some Sola Scriptura discussion questions related to your study from the previous week. Read, reflect, and share your thoughts. Please comment!
- Each post will include your next week’s assignment starting Sunday for the following study week.
- Take advantage of the opportunity to watch and listen to the Run Before The Wind — Digital M4V Video Messages or the Run Before The Wind — Digital MP3 Messages. The Introduction Week Digital M4V Video and Digital MP3 Audio Messages for all study series are always free as digital downloads!
- Leaders, make the most of your small group experience with a Run Before The Wind — DVD Leaders Kit. Leaders Kits include the Run Before The Wind — A Quiet Time Experience Book, The Quiet Time Journal, and a Quiet Time Ministries Signature Tote.
Your assignment this next week is to study Week 4, Days 1-7, Strengthened By The Spirit from Run Before The Wind — Truths from Acts to Enjoy Life in the Spirit. At the end of Week Four, you may also want to enjoy the companion Week Four message for Run Before The Wind (Viewer Guide, pp127-128) — I Can’t But He Can – Digital M4V Video or I Can’t But He Can – Digital MP3 Audio. In our fourth week of study we are going to study Acts 6-7 and learn how the Holy Spirit gives us strength in our lives. We will study the life of Stephen as an example of how the Holy Spirit gives us strength for every need. I believe you will be filled with a new desire to be filled with the Holy Spirit as you realize how much you need God’s strength in your life. I will meet you back here with a new post and discussion question on Saturday, May 8, 2016.
Take some time now to pray through the words of this prayer from The Valley Of Vision to prepare our hearts as we continue to study God’s Word together in Week Four of Run Before The Wind —
I am blind, be thou my light,
ignorant, be thou my wisdom,
self-willed, be thou my mind.
Open my ear to grasp quickly thy Spirit’s voice,
and delightfully run after his beckoning hand;
Melt my conscience that no hardness remain,
make it alive to evil’s slightest touch;
When Satan approaches may I flee to thy wounds,
and there cease to tremble at all alarms.
Be my good shepherd to lead me into the green pastures of thy Word,
and cause me to lie down beside the rivers of its comforts.
Fill me with peace, that no disquieting worldly gales
may ruffle the calm surface of my soul.
Thy cross was upraised to be my refuge,
Thy blood streamed forth to wash me clean,
Thy death occurred to give me a surety,
Thy name is my property to save me,
By thee all heaven is poured into my heart,
but it is too narrow to comprehend thy love.
I was a stranger, an outcast, a slave, a rebel,
but thy cross has brought me near,
has softened my heart,
has made me thy Father’s child,
has admitted me to thy family,
has made me joint-heir with thyself.
O that I may love thee as thou lovest me,
that I may walk worthy of thee, my Lord,
that I may reflect the image of heaven’s first-born.
May I always see thy beauty with the clear eye of faith,
and feel the power of thy Spirit in my heart,
for unless he move mightily in me,
no inward fire will be kindled.
♥ God bless you as you continue this great adventure of knowing Him!
As we have lived in Acts 2-4 this week, share your own thoughts on one or more of these questions. What does it mean to be filled with the Holy Spirit? Have you surrendered to the Lord and are you giving Him control of your life? How have you seen Jesus at work in your life this week? What was the most important thing you learned as you studied God’s Word in Week 3? And finally, was there a favorite verse or quote that was significant for you this week?
- Title: Run Before The Wind
- Order Custom myPhotoWalk Prints @ myPhotoWalk — SmugMug.com
- Description: Sunlight diamonds on the water, a small boat in the distance at Corona Del Mar State Beach, Corona Del Mar, Newport Beach, California, USA.
- Creator: Catherine Martin
- Date Created: 02/27/11
- Camera: Nikon D7000, Nikkor 50mm, FL 50mm, ISO 100, f/10, 1/400sec.
- Photoshoot: myPhotoWalk Photoshoot in Corona Del Mar State Beach, Corona Del Mar, Newport Beach, California, USA.
- Post-Processing: Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe Photoshop, Topaz Software, OnOne Software.
- Copyright ©2017 Catherine Martin — myPhotoWalk™ — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright © 2017 Catherine Martin — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.