Run Before The Wind OLS — Week Five
One of my favorite places in the world is Sedona, Arizona. I grew up in Phoenix and was blessed to be able to hike the trails all around Sedona often. Many important times with the Lord have been spent in Sedona. So when I need to get away and draw near to the Lord for retreat, Sedona is my first choice for a quiet place to be alone with the Lord.
I remember a week of photography in Sedona where my husband and I explored some of the most beautiful locations in Oak Creek Canyon. One day we were driving along Upper Red Rock Loop Road and saw a small turnout, so we pulled off the road and excitedly grabbed our camera gear to see what we might discover. There was this amazing tree overlooking a beautiful view of the red rock canyon of Oak Creek. We were literally standing on a smooth wash of red rock and the entire canyon seemed ablaze with color. I titled this photo, “On Fire For Jesus.”
On fire for the Lord is the perfect description of those disciples in the early church. They were filled with the Holy Spirit, their lives were ablaze with Christ Himself, and they took the message of the Lord everywhere they traveled. I believe that’s what the Lord wants to do in our lives as well. He is looking for those whom He can live in and through to touch a lost and hurting world.
In Week Five of Run Before The Wind, we studied the lives of many disciples including Philip, Paul, Peter, and Barnabas. I was challenged in a new way to surrender all to the Lord. I realized in a deep and profound way His intention to live in and through us. In 2 Corinthians 4:6-10 we saw that the treasure is in jars of clay. We are an earthen vessel housing the Lord Himself. “But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves” (2 Corinthians 4:7). Oh, I would think that makes us all bow down in worship to the Lord. We are temples of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).
I loved the words of G. Campbell Morgan —
I believe the Lord is looking for surrendered, yielded men and women who will set their sail to catch the wind of His Spirit. Handley Moule said, “The promise is not for great or exceptional Christians, but for any Christian who yields himself to God.” Oh friends, let us be those ones who are yielded to Him. May we be those earthen vessels who are displays of the greatness of His power and glory.
God bless you dear friend.
About Our Study
- Each week on Saturday morning, I will simulpost at Cath’s Blog — Quiet Time Ministries and at Ministry For Women — Google+ Community.
- All Ministry For Women — Google+ Community posts are mirrored on Quiet Time Ministries as — Cath’s Blog — Online Studies
- Each post will include some Sola Scriptura discussion questions related to your study from the previous week. Read, reflect, and share your thoughts. Please comment!
- Each post will include your next week’s assignment starting Sunday for the following study week.
- Take advantage of the opportunity to watch and listen to the Run Before The Wind — Digital M4V Video Messages or the Run Before The Wind — Digital MP3 Messages. The Introduction Week Digital M4V Video and Digital MP3 Audio Messages for all study series are always free as digital downloads!
- Leaders, make the most of your small group experience with a Run Before The Wind — DVD Leaders Kit. Leaders Kits include the Run Before The Wind — A Quiet Time Experience Book, The Quiet Time Journal, and a Quiet Time Ministries Signature Tote.
Your assignment this next week is to study Week 6, Days 1-7, Led By The Spirit from Run Before The Wind — Truths from Acts to Enjoy Life in the Spirit. At the end of Week Six, you may also want to enjoy the companion Week Six message for Run Before The Wind (Viewer Guide, pp179-180) — When God Writes A Pageturner – Digital M4V Video or When God Writes A Pageturner – Digital MP3 Audio. In our sixth week of study we are going to study Acts 13-15 and learn how the Holy Spirit leads in our lives to work in and through us and change lives. We will study the ministry of those in the early church and watch the influence of the Holy Spirit. I believe you will be filled with a new desire to be serve the Lord and run before the wind of the Holy Spirit. I will meet you back here with a new post and discussion question on Saturday, May 21, 2016.
Take some time now to pray through the words of this prayer from The Valley Of Vision to prepare our hearts as we continue to study God’s Word together in Week Six of Run Before The Wind —
I am blind, be thou my light,
ignorant, be thou my wisdom,
self-willed, be thou my mind.
Open my ear to grasp quickly thy Spirit’s voice,
and delightfully run after his beckoning hand;
Melt my conscience that no hardness remain,
make it alive to evil’s slightest touch;
When Satan approaches may I flee to thy wounds,
and there cease to tremble at all alarms.
Be my good shepherd to lead me into the green pastures of thy Word,
and cause me to lie down beside the rivers of its comforts.
Fill me with peace, that no disquieting worldly gales
may ruffle the calm surface of my soul.
Thy cross was upraised to be my refuge,
Thy blood streamed forth to wash me clean,
Thy death occurred to give me a surety,
Thy name is my property to save me,
By thee all heaven is poured into my heart,
but it is too narrow to comprehend thy love.
I was a stranger, an outcast, a slave, a rebel,
but thy cross has brought me near,
has softened my heart,
has made me thy Father’s child,
has admitted me to thy family,
has made me joint-heir with thyself.
O that I may love thee as thou lovest me,
that I may walk worthy of thee, my Lord,
that I may reflect the image of heaven’s first-born.
May I always see thy beauty with the clear eye of faith,
and feel the power of thy Spirit in my heart,
for unless he move mightily in me,
no inward fire will be kindled.
♥ God bless you as you continue this great adventure of knowing Him!
As we have lived in Acts 8-13 this week, share your own thoughts on one or more of these questions. Who was your favorite character in the early church and who inspires you the most to live in the power of the Holy Spirit? What was the most important observation you made this week about the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives? How is the Lord working in your life as you have studied His Word? And finally, was there a favorite verse or quote that was significant for you this week?
- Title: On Fire For Jesus
- Order Custom myPhotoWalk Prints @ myPhotoWalk — SmugMug.com
- Description: One of my favorite views of Oak Creek Canyon along Upper Red Rock Loop Road in Sedona, Arizona, USA.
- Creator: Catherine Martin
- Date Created: 5/15/13
- Camera: Nikon D7000, Nikkor 12-24mm, FL 13mm, ISO 100, f/11, AEB.
- Photoshoot: myPhotoWalk Photoshoot in Sedona, Arizona, USA.
- Post-Processing: Photomatix Pro, Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe Photoshop, Nik Software.
- Copyright ©2017 Catherine Martin — myPhotoWalk™ — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright © 2017 Catherine Martin — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.