Run Before The Wind OLS — Week Seven
I vividly remember the view from our hotel balcony in Florence, Italy, watching the sunset glow paint the clouds above the famous Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore (Il Duomo di Firenze). And I couldn’t help but think, “God is always at work and we see the impact of His beauty and transformation all around us.”
And so it is with the Holy Spirit at work in us. The effects are seen in many ways. One of the great ways He works in us is setting us free.
Paul wrote about this special kind of freedom to the church at Corinth —
This week in our study of Run Before The Wind, we spent time learning about different ways that we experience freedom through the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives — freedom to disciple others in ministry, freedom to surrender to the Lord’s ways, freedom to experience God’s purpose in our lives, freedom to live a life of influence and faithfulness, and freedom to cross the finish line in this race of life. Oh how powerful the work of God is in us through the power of the Holy Spirit.
I have been thinking lately how reliant I am on the work of the Lord in me, doing in me what I can never do myself. Only God can change a heart. Only He can transform us from the inside out. And His work in us is good and beautiful. He sets the captives free. He sets you free. And He sets me free.
So let us not live as though we are in prison. Instead, let us arise from the mire of this world, and see what the Lord just may have in mind for us. I love how G. Campbell Morgan expresses the importance of our looking to the Lord for His guidance through the power of the Holy Spirit. He writes —
Oh, I love these words by Morgan. They help me understand freedom in the Spirit in a new way. Imagine the freedom that allows one to stand above the storms — experiencing them, yes. Touched by them and even hurt by them, yes. But still somehow, by the power of the Spirit, we are above and beyond the storm, for He enables us to touch heaven when tested by fire.
I love this feeling of freedom viewing Florence from above, looking out over the rooftops. That is how it is with us, when we experience the work of the Holy Spirit in us. He sets us free indeed.
Oh Lord, will You help us experience true freedom through the power of the Holy Spirit.
God bless you dear friend as you continue on in this last week of study in Run Before The Wind. I can hardly believe we are nearing the end. I encourage you to think about all you have learned and write down one truth that has been life-changing for you. I believe the realization that Christ lives in us is such a secret to the Christian life and enjoying life in the Spirit. May the Lord open the eyes of our heart to help us see and understand this great truth from God’s Word.
About Our Study
- Each week on Saturday morning, I will simulpost at Cath’s Blog — Quiet Time Ministries and at Ministry For Women — Google+ Community.
- All Ministry For Women — Google+ Community posts are mirrored on Quiet Time Ministries as — Cath’s Blog — Online Studies
- Each post will include some Sola Scriptura discussion questions related to your study from the previous week. Read, reflect, and share your thoughts. Please comment!
- Each post will include your next week’s assignment starting Sunday for the following study week.
- Take advantage of the opportunity to watch and listen to the Run Before The Wind — Digital M4V Video Messages or the Run Before The Wind — Digital MP3 Messages. The Introduction Week Digital M4V Video and Digital MP3 Audio Messages for all study series are always free as digital downloads!
- Leaders, make the most of your small group experience with a Run Before The Wind — DVD Leaders Kit. Leaders Kits include the Run Before The Wind — A Quiet Time Experience Book, The Quiet Time Journal, and a Quiet Time Ministries Signature Tote.
Your assignment this next week is to study Week 8, Days 1-7, Encouragement In The Spirit from Run Before The Wind — Truths from Acts to Enjoy Life in the Spirit. At the end of Week Eight, you may also want to enjoy the companion Week Eight message for Run Before The Wind (Viewer Guide, pp237-238) — The Ship That Sails The High Seas – Digital M4V Video or The Ship That Sails The High Seas – Digital MP3 Audio. In our eighth and final week of study we are going to study Acts 21-28 and look at the encouragement of the Holy Spirit. Oh how we need His comfort and encouragement! We will see how the Holy Spirit ministered to Paul as he suffered for the Lord in ministry. May the Lord help us draw near to Him and be filled with the Spirit that we might experience His comfort and encouragement every day of our lives. I will meet you back here with a new post and discussion question on Saturday, June 4, 2016.
Take some time now to pray through the words of this prayer from The Valley Of Vision to prepare our hearts as we continue to study God’s Word together in Week Eight of Run Before The Wind —
I am blind, be thou my light,
ignorant, be thou my wisdom,
self-willed, be thou my mind.
Open my ear to grasp quickly thy Spirit’s voice,
and delightfully run after his beckoning hand;
Melt my conscience that no hardness remain,
make it alive to evil’s slightest touch;
When Satan approaches may I flee to thy wounds,
and there cease to tremble at all alarms.
Be my good shepherd to lead me into the green pastures of thy Word,
and cause me to lie down beside the rivers of its comforts.
Fill me with peace, that no disquieting worldly gales
may ruffle the calm surface of my soul.
Thy cross was upraised to be my refuge,
Thy blood streamed forth to wash me clean,
Thy death occurred to give me a surety,
Thy name is my property to save me,
By thee all heaven is poured into my heart,
but it is too narrow to comprehend thy love.
I was a stranger, an outcast, a slave, a rebel,
but thy cross has brought me near,
has softened my heart,
has made me thy Father’s child,
has admitted me to thy family,
has made me joint-heir with thyself.
O that I may love thee as thou lovest me,
that I may walk worthy of thee, my Lord,
that I may reflect the image of heaven’s first-born.
May I always see thy beauty with the clear eye of faith,
and feel the power of thy Spirit in my heart,
for unless he move mightily in me,
no inward fire will be kindled.
♥ God bless you as you continue this great adventure of knowing Him!
As we have lived in Acts 16-20 this week, share your own thoughts on one or more of these questions. What does it mean to be set free by the Holy Spirit? How have you experienced true freedom in your own life? What are you learning from the Lord this week as you studied His Word? And finally, was there a favorite verse or quote that was significant for you this week?
- Title: God Is At Work
- Order Custom myPhotoWalk Prints @ myPhotoWalk — SmugMug.com
- Description: A sunset view from Via Il Prato, Il Duomo, Campanile Di Giotto, Florence, Tuscany, Italy.
- Creator: Catherine Martin
- Date Created: 05/07/11
- Camera: Nikon D7000, Nikkor 18-105mm, FL 70mm, ISO 250, f/5.3, 1/15sec.
- Photoshoot: myPhotoWalk Photoshoot along the Via Il Prato, Il Duomo, Campanile Di Giotto, Florence, Tuscany, Italy.
- Post-Processing: Photomatix Pro, Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe Photoshop, Topaz Software, OnOne Software.
- Copyright ©2017 Catherine Martin — myPhotoWalk™ — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright © 2017 Catherine Martin — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.