Walking With The God Who Cares OLS — Week One
One thing I have noticed on myPhotoWalk photo shoots for Quiet Time Ministries is that even in extreme weather conditions, there can be beauty to be found with the camera all along the way. In fact, real growth in nature requires the rain. And of course, there is a reason why such beautiful lush green growth occurs where it rains. Let’s explore.
A number of years ago on a speaking engagement, I had the opportunity to capture images in Klamath Falls, Oregon. I got up early in the morning before sunrise and I walked out in the beautiful surrounding landscape of Running Y Ranch with my Nikon D7000 camera, wide-angle 12-24mm lens, and gitzo tripod. It was freezing cold, dark clouds were everywhere, and I felt like it was going to start pouring rain at any moment. But I love those kinds of conditions, because they hold the promise of great photos with the light shining through the clouds as the sun rises. So on this particular morning, I was able to capture the fall color as the leaves were beginning to change along with the sun lighting up the clouds.
The storm and rains can fall hard in our lives as well. As we read this week in Walking With The God Who Cares, there are seasons of suffering that can come our way. And we saw, that hope is possible even in the darkest time of life. I was especially challenged this week in Day 4, The University of Suffering. There are so many areas of growth in our lives in a time of suffering, and often we don’t even realize how much we have learned until we near the end of such a deep season of trial.
I literally underlined almost the entire text of Day 4. The first sentence grabbed me — Every child of God attends the university of suffering. I also thought it was profound to think about how suffering is the opportunity to test the promises of God. I loved the words of Jesus in John 16:33 this week —
In the university of suffering, we saw that our priorities and affections are sifted, we become strong and mighty in the power of the Lord, we are humbled and learn confession and repentance in a whole new way, we develop endurance, and we experience a deeper intimacy with Christ.
As I read through all these powerful lessons, I thought about what I am learning in my own season of suffering. I believe the Lord is drawing me into a deeper intimacy with Himself. That blesses me so much as I think about how He loves me and wants me to know Him and love Him more. I spent this week walking and talking with Him about all I am learning about hope.
So what about you? What is God teaching you as you have begun this study?
My prayer and my goal for all of us is found in Romans 15:13 —
Oh how I pray, dear friend, for your life to be filled with hope as you discover the powerful and magnificent promises of God.
About Our Study
- Each week on Saturday morning, I will simulpost at Cath’s Blog — Quiet Time Ministries and at Ministry For Women — Google+ Community.
- All Ministry For Women — Google+ Community posts are mirrored on Quiet Time Ministries as — Cath’s Blog — Online Studies
- Each post will include some Sola Scriptura discussion questions related to your reading from the previous week. Read, reflect, and share your thoughts. Please comment!
- Each post will include your next week’s assignment starting Sunday for the following study week.
- Take advantage of the opportunity to watch and listen to the Walking With The God Who Cares — Digital M4V Video Messages or the Walking With The God Who Cares — Digital MP3 Messages. The Introduction Week Digital M4V Video and Digital MP3 Audio Messages for all study series are always free as digital downloads!
- Leaders, make the most of your small group experience with a Walking With The God Who Cares — DVD Leaders Kit. Leaders Kits include the Walking With The God Who Cares — A 30-Day Journey Book, The Quiet Time Journal, and a Quiet Time Ministries Signature Tote.
Your assignment this next week is to study Week 2, Days 7-12, A Living Hope In The Promises. At the end of Week Two, you may also want to enjoy the companion Week Two message for Walking With The God Who Cares (Viewer Guide, pp109-110) — Discovering The Promises of God – Digital M4V Video or Discovering The Promises of God – Digital MP3 Audio. In our second week of study we are going to look more closely at the relationship between hope and the promises of God. We will learn how to find a promise, embrace the promise, trust the promise, and live the promise. We will get practical and I invite you to begin using the Promise Pages found in the Appendix of the new 2016 edition of Walking With The God Who Cares. For those of you with the new edition, you will notice that I have included 31 of the Promise Pages discussed in Day 10. For those of you using the first edition of Walking With The God Who Cares, the new edition includes Viewer Guides for all my messages and 31 of the Promises Pages in the Appendix. This is a practical way of learning to write a check on those magnificent promises that God has given us. I will meet you back here with a new post and discussion question on Saturday, October 22, 2016.
I invite you to share all that you are learning in this study. You can write your thoughts in the Comments section of this post.
And now, let’s continue the journey of Walking With The God Who Cares.
♥ God bless you as you continue this great adventure of knowing Him!
Share how God met you this week in the study. How do you need hope in your life right now? In Day 4 we looked intensely at The University of Suffering. In what way are you or have you been in the University of Suffering? What is God teaching you? What is the most important truth, verse or insight for you this week in Walking With The God Who Cares?
- Title: God’s Good And Glorious Work
- Order Custom myPhotoWalk Prints @ myPhotoWalk — SmugMug.com
- Description: Fall colors fill the trees at Running Y Ranch, Klamath Falls, Oregon, USA.
- Creator: Catherine Martin
- Date Created: 10/12/13
- Camera: Nikon D7000, Nikkor 12-24mm, FL 22mm, ISO 100, f/11, AEB.
- Photoshoot: myPhotoWalk Photoshoot at Running Y Ranch, Klamath Falls, Oregon, USA.
- Post-Processing: Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe Photoshop, Topaz Software, On1 Software.
- Copyright ©2017 Catherine Martin — myPhotoWalk™ — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright © 2017 Catherine Martin — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.