The Joyful Heart
“You are so happy. What’s the secret?”
That was the comment from a woman at a retreat event where I was speaking.
I smiled and said, “What you see is joy. It’s the joy of the Lord that is our strength” (Nehemiah 8:10).
Her words caused me to pause and think about the difference between joy and happiness. Happiness is dependent on circumstances that fluctuate throughout the course of our life, and joy depends on God who never changes. It’s been said that joy is not the absence of suffering, but the presence of God.
So how can you have a joyful heart?
Draw near to the Lord and grow in your intimate relationship with the Lord Jesus. His joy is the secret to your experience of joy in life.
He says this about joy —
Notice that Jesus points out that the path to being filled with His joy lies in hearing what He says. We need to lay aside all the clamoring of the world and stop to truly hear what Jesus says in His Word. No wonder He often said, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.” We need to have ears to hear Him, and when we do, we will be filled with His joy through the power of the Holy Spirit. Joy is a fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22).
Charles Spurgeon says, “It is in God that our hearts find their deepest delight. We have joy in him which far surpasses all other joy.”
So dear friend, may you draw near to your Lord today, and experience His joy which is your strength.
♥ Blessings and Grace to You!
- Title: The Joyful Heart
- Request This Image > SmugMug Image Request
- Description: A bright and joyous flower in Palm Desert, California, USA.
- Creator: Catherine Martin
- Date Created: 10/01/16
- Camera: Nikon D810, Micro-Nikkor 200mm, FL 200mm, ISO 100, f/14, 2.0sec.
- Photoshoot: myPhotoWalk Photo Shoot in Palm Desert, California, USA.
- Post-Processing: Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe Photoshop, Topaz Software, Nik Software, On1 Software.
- Copyright ©2017 Catherine Martin — myPhotoWalk™ — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.
Request this post’s image to be made available in Catherine’s SmugMug Portfolio!
Submit Once – Check Your Email.
myPhotoWalk.com — Devotional Photography
2 Peter 3:18 — Beholding His Beauty — Experiencing His Blessings — Living In His Word
Copyright © 2017 Catherine Martin — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.