Trusting ~ Names Of God AQTE OLS — Week One
Very soon after I gave my life to the Lord in college, I went to the Christian bookstore and I bought a Bible.
Not only did I get the Bible, but I actually began reading it. I was so surprised and overwhelmed to discover God speaking to me through the words I read in the Bible. Every verse seemed to have my name on it, and the words were directed to me personally.
That was just the beginning of more than forty years of time spent in God’s Word. There is no substitute for time spent in God’s Word. The Lord uses every moment we spend with Him in the Bible to transform us and make us the man or woman He wants us to be.
And in the times when life is hard and you almost feel like giving up, the most important thing you and I can do is to drop everything and get to the Word where we can hear from God and spend time with Him.
I share these things because this week’s study in Psalm 27:4 was very special for me. That verse became my life verse at the very beginning of my walk with the Lord. And He reminded me of it in a new and deeper way this week. I realized that all my life my pursuit has been to know and love the Lord, and to live and walk with Him, moment by moment. The last few years have been the hardest years of my life and that pursuit of God has held new meaning for me as my faith and trust have been tested and strengthened. God is growing my single-minded focus in Him.
I especially loved so many of the quotes by Octavius Winslow and F.B. Meyer. This one by Octavius Winslow was so very powerful —
All I can say is, “preach it Octavius!” I wrote next to that quote in my study, “Amen, amen, amen! This is my mission. I could not state it better than this.” Oh how words like that just fire me up. It’s important to note that Octavius Winslow was a contemporary of Charles Haddon Spurgeon and was chosen to give the dedication message at the opening of Spurgeon’s Metropolitan Tabernacle in England in 1861. My two favorite books written by Winslow are Help Heavenward and Our God.
Oh what a journey we are on. May we be inspired and encouraged to give our all to know our Lord and trust Him. Oh yes, there may be days where we are greatly challenged. But in knowing God’s names, we will trust Him more, even in those difficult days.
So, dear friend, I encourage you to draw near to God over the next 8 weeks and know and trust Him more and more.
My prayer and my goal for all of us is found in Psalm 9:10 —
Lord, we pray now that we will know Your names and put our trust in You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
God bless you, dear friend, and may you be filled with trust as you discover who God is, what God says, and what God does in His names.
About Our Study
- Each week on Saturday morning, I will simulpost at Cath’s Blog — Quiet Time Ministries and at Ministry For Women — Google+ Community.
- All Ministry For Women — Google+ Community posts are mirrored on Quiet Time Ministries as — Cath’s Blog — Online Studies
- Each post will include some Sola Scriptura discussion questions related to your reading from the previous week. Read, reflect, and share your thoughts. Please comment!
- Each post will include your next week’s assignment starting Sunday for the following study week.
- Take advantage of the opportunity to watch and listen to the Trusting In The Names Of God — Digital M4V Video Messages or the Trusting In The Names Of God — Digital MP3 Messages. The Introduction Week Digital M4V Video and Digital MP3 Audio Messages for all study series are always free as digital downloads!
- Leaders, make the most of your small group experience with a Trusting In The Names Of God — DVD Leaders Kit. Leaders Kits include the Trusting In The Names Of God — A Quiet Time Experience Book, Trusting In The Names Of God DVD With 9 Messages by Catherine Martin, The Quiet Time Journal, and a Quiet Time Ministries Signature Tote.
Your assignment this next week is to study Week 2, Days 1-6, Trusting In The Lord. At the end of Week Two, you may also want to enjoy the companion Week Two message for Trusting In The Names Of God (Viewer Guide, pp71-72) — Great Moments Of Trust – Digital M4V Video or Great Moments Of Trust – Digital MP3 Audio. In our second week of study we are going to look at what it really means to trust the Lord. You will be encouraged to know the Lord and trust in Him even in the most difficult circumstances. I will meet you back here with a new post and discussion question on Saturday, March 25, 2017.
♥ God bless you as you continue this great adventure of knowing Him!
As you began this study, what meant the most to you from the Introduction and the experience of writing your Letter to the Lord? During your first week of study you saw a great heart for the Lord in David. What meant the most to you about David? What was your favorite part of Psalm 27? And finally, what was your favorite verse, insight, or quote?
- Title: Slipping Away To Pray
- Order Custom myPhotoWalk Prints @ myPhotoWalk — SmugMug.com
- Description: The rolling green hills in Glacier National Park, Montana, USA.
- Creator: Catherine Martin
- Date Created: 9/16/13
- Camera: Nikon D7000, Nikkor 12-24mm, FL 24mm, ISO 100, f/22, 1/10sec.
- Photoshoot: myPhotoWalk Photoshoot at Glacier National Park, Montana, USA.
- Post-Processing: Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe Photoshop, Nik Software.
- Copyright ©2018 Catherine Martin — myPhotoWalk™ — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright © 2018 Catherine Martin — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.