Forever OLS — Week Two #2
One of the most personal, life-changing questions Jesus ever asked one His disciples was, “Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip?” (John 14:9).
These words show us Jesus’ heart. He wants us to know Him. He desires a relationship, not religion. No wonder He gives more than 60 truths about Himself in the book of Revelation. The struggling churches of western Asia Minor needed to get back to the main thing in life: Jesus. They didn’t need self-help books or empty words. They needed Jesus. And we need Jesus as well. When we are struggling, facing difficulties, or experiencing a fiery trial, we need Jesus. We may think we need many other things. But what we really need is Jesus.
How well do you know Jesus?
I don’t mean academic acquiring of facts, but a personal, intimate knowledge, in a one-on-one communication of fellowship and sharing with the King of kings and the Lord of lords. This week in Part 2, The Person of Eternity, A Heart To See Forever, you have had the opportunity to see Jesus, the One who is faithful and true (Revelation 19:11). Knowing Jesus in this way is something you discover as you experience Him moment by moment in the study of His Word, and in practical application of His Word by faith in the circumstances of the everyday.
Paul discovered that Jesus was faithful and true when he shared,
Paul knew the Lord and counted on Him in the heat of fiery trials. And that’s what God wants from us today. The response He desires is trust — total reliance under stress and trial. The more you know Jesus, the more you will trust Him.
As I thought this week about all I am learning in Revelation about Jesus, I got the idea to turn to my journal and begin keeping a list of all that knowing Jesus means to me.
- He puts my heart back together when it breaks into a million pieces.
- He lifts up my head when I am low in sadness and despair.
- He holds me close to His heart.
- He shows me how I’ve wronged someone.
- He brings the hope of a new day every day.
- He teaches me truth in a world of lies.
- He gives me glimpses of life eternal in heaven with Him.
- He restores and revives me with the power of His Word.
- He strengthens me for impossible tasks.
- He gives me the joy of His comforting smile on this adventure called life.
And what about you?
What will you write on your list about all that knowing Jesus means to you? This week I encourage you to draw near to Jesus. In fact, sing the words of that beloved hymn and make it your prayer all week: Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.
♥ God bless you as you continue this great adventure of knowing Him!
When you finish Week 2, Days 4-7, will you share the most important truth you learned about Jesus? Has He brought you to a greater trust or a deeper joy this week? What does knowing Him mean to you?
- Title: Haystack Rock Reflections
- Request This Image > SmugMug Image Request
- Description: Haystack Rock, Cannon Beach, Oregon, Film Backdrop for A Heart To See Forever Series.
- Creator: Catherine Martin
- Date Created: 10/02/11
- Camera: Canon S92 Powershot, automatic.
- Photoshoot: Afternoon misty be still quiet time PhotoShoot walking on Cannon Beach, Oregon.
- Post-Processing: Photoshop, onOne Perfect Photo Suite Software
- Copyright ©2018 Catherine Martin — myPhotoWalk — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.
Request this post’s image to be made available in Catherine’s SmugMug Portfolio!
Submit Once – Check Your Email.
myPhotoWalk.com — Devotional Photography
Copyright © 2018 Catherine Martin — Quiet Time Ministries. All Rights Reserved.