Getting Started In Quiet Time
“O Taste and see that the Lord is good” Psalm 34:8 NASB
Cath’s Quick Start Guide To Quiet Time
I often receive an inquiry about getting started in quiet time in the discussion at Ministry For Women — Google+ Community, a social network community sponsored by Quiet Time Ministries for women worldwide to grow in their relationship with Jesus Christ.
An inquirer asked, “I would love to develop a quiet time with God, so what would be a good way to get started? What kinds of materials would be good to get to start my quiet time?”
It’s such a great question and I loved answering it, so I thought I would share my response with you.
A Time, A Place, and A Plan
The three essentials for quiet time are to set aside a time each day, choose a quiet place to draw near to the Lord, and have a Bible study plan. I like The PRAYER Quiet Time Plan that I introduced in my signature publications, Six Secrets to a Powerful Quiet Time and The Quiet Time Notebook.
- Prepare Your Heart
- Read and Study God’s Word
- Adore God in Prayer
- Yield Yourself to God
- Enjoy His Presence
- Rest in His Love
This simple and effective plan helps me in drawing near to the Lord each day. The devotional disciplines of this plan include devotional reading, Bible study, hymns and worship, meditation, word studies, journaling, prayers, and application of God’s word to your life.
Essential Quiet Time Resources
- Your Bible — I prefer the New American Standard Bible (NASB), but I also like the New International Version Bible (NIV), the New Living Translation Bible (NLT), and The Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB).
- Some Good Daily Devotionals — I love Daily Light on the Daily Path, Streams in the Desert, Morning and Evening, and My Utmost For His Highest. I sometimes even include a devotional classic like The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer.
- A Good Quiet Time Study — Simple reading and reflection is all that’s required for a rich quiet time experience with the Lord using one of my A Devotional Journey books, A Woman’s Heart That Dances or A Woman’s Walk In Grace. Record your thoughts, observations, and prayers. Let the Lord be your guide. It’s easy! If you’re slightly more adventurous, choose one of my favorite A Quiet Time Experience books, such as A Heart That Hopes In God.
- Your Journal — Start with The Quiet Time Journal, or if you’re slightly more adventurous, dive right in to The Quiet Time Notebook. Organize your quiet time. You’ll be glad you did!
Energize Your Quiet Time
- Cath On The Path Blog: I share lots of helpful ideas for your quiet time!
- A Walk In Grace Devotional Photography Blog: I share my photography personally paired with an original devotion for your quiet time!
- What Is A Quiet Time?: The biblical basis for quiet time.
- A Quiet Time With Catherine: This is a real time quiet time!
- Why You’ll Love Quiet Time Studies: Everything you need to know about quiet time studies!
- Why You’ll Love The Quiet Time Notebooks: Draw near to God and know Him and love Him more!
- myQuietTime: My exclusive weekly quiet time video on The Quiet Time Live Channel @ YouTube.
- Ministry For Women — Google+ Community: Connect with women worldwide following Christ, loving God and His Word, and growing together in His Spirit
The most exciting part of quiet time is drawing near to God and growing in our intimate relationship with Him. I love my quiet time with the Lord each day – it’s the one thing in life – the essential part of my day. He encourages me, teaches me, and helps me as I get ready to face the day and live for Him.
The Word of God is living and active (Hebrews 4:12), and the Holy Spirit uses it to comfort and encourage you. You can’t afford to miss a day without it. So, if you find yourself needing some encouragement, let me ask again, have you opened your Bible lately? If not, grab it, and spend some time alone with the Lord.
O taste and see that the Lord is good. — Psalm 34:8 NASB
♥ God bless you in the great adventure of knowing Him!
Special Funding Opportunity – Support The Publishing Project
Learn how you can support the Quiet Time Ministries Press Publishing Project. We have ongoing expenses for monthly development and production of all consumer publications direct to market from Catherine Martin and Quiet Time Ministries, including New Editions, New Books, and ePublications. Our goal is to see Catherine Martin & Quiet Time Ministries Press publications reach churches and individuals all across America and throughout the world by teaching devotion to God and His Word. May the Lord multiply your gifts to this ministry and reach hundreds of thousands in His name!